The University of Massachusetts Lowell (UMass Lowell) scholarships typically consist of merit-based scholarships for first-year and current undergraduates, graduates, and international students. They help ease the cost of getting higher education for different categories of students. Some of these scholarships do not require students’ application other than applying for admission before the deadline.
Scholarships for First-Year Students at UMass Lowell
First-year students can financially benefit from the following scholarships at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- UMass Lowell Legacy Scholarship
- Dean’s Scholarship Program
- Tsongas Scholarship
- UMass Lowell Chancellor’s Scholarship
Scholarships for Current Students at UMass Lowell
The following scholarships are available for students currently enrolled at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- Pulichino/Tong Family Foundation Business Scholarship
- Charles J. Hoff Scholarship
Scholarships for Graduate Students at UMass Lowell
Graduate students can take financial advantage of the following fellowships at UMass Lowell.
- Provost’s Graduate Fellowship
- Graduate Online & Professional Studies Fellowships
- Double River Hawk Fellowship for UMass Alumni
- Dean’s Graduate Fellowship
- Double River Hawk Graduate Fellowship
- Veteran’s Graduate Fellowship
Scholarships for Out-of-State and International Students at UMass Lowell
Here are the scholarships open to students from other US states, including holders of F1 Visa at UMass Lowell.
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Scholarship
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Awards
- New England Regional Scholarships
Who Sponsors the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships?
UMass Lowell funds its endowed scholarships through the financial contributions received from its alumni, partners, and friends. These include the Charles J. Hoff Foundation and the Pulichino/Tong Family Foundation.
Note that scholarship recipients may need to send a Thank You Letter to their scholarship sponsors as an appreciation for their kind gesture.
Overview of Lowell City in Massachusetts, USA
Lowell is a US city in Massachusetts with an area of 37.63 square kilometers. With a population of approximately 116,000, the city is the fifth most densely populated in Massachusetts as of the last census. Highly recommended attractions for students in Lowell include Lowell National Historical Park, Boott Cotton Mills Museum, Whistler House Museum of Art, and Brush Art Gallery & Studios.
Established in 1894, the University of Massachusetts Lowell is a public higher learning and research institute with an urban campus of 150 acres in this city. The university is one of the University of Massachusetts systems. It has an enrollment of about 20,000 students pursuing diverse certificates, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.
How Much are UMass Lowell Scholarships Worth?
The following are the various value of each scholarship awarded to domestic and international students at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- Out-of-State and International Scholarships: Range from $5,000 to $20,000 per academic year
- Pulichino/Tong Family Foundation Business Scholarship: $2,500 per semester (Worth $5,000 per academic year)
- Tsongas Scholarship: Covers your full tuition, mandatory fees, and standard room & board fees
- Dean’s Scholarship Program: Covers up to 50% of each awardee’s tuition and mandatory fees.
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Scholarship: Valued at $5,000 for UMass Lowell students who are Massachusetts residents and $10,000 for out-of-state residents.
- UMass Lowell Chancellor’s Scholarship: 100% coverage of each student’s tuition and mandatory fees
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Awards: Range from $6,000 to $20,400 per academic year
- Charles J. Hoff Scholarship: $2,000 per semester (Valued at $4,000 per academic year)
- Provost’s Graduate Fellowship: Range from $4,000 to $10,000
- New England Regional Scholarships: Covers up to 50% of UMass Lowell’s New England Regional tuition fee rate
- Double River Hawk Fellowship for UMass Alumni: Range from $2,000 to $4,000
- Veteran’s Graduate Fellowship: A one-year award of $2,000
- Dean’s Graduate Fellowship: $2,000
- UMass Lowell Legacy Scholarship: Range from $5,000 to $10,000 annually
- Graduate Online & Professional Studies Fellowships: $1,000
- Double River Hawk Graduate Fellowship: $2,000
How Many Students Receive the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships?
An unspecified number of students, ranging from hundreds to thousands of undergraduates and graduates, receive scholarships every academic session at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
Are the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships Fully or Partially Funded?
The University of Massachusetts Lowell awards partial and full scholarships as financial support exclusively for undergraduate students. As a graduate student, you can only get partial fellowships worth up to $10,000 for one year.
Duration of the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships
UMass Lowell scholarships are typically tenable for up to four academic years for undergraduate students and one year for graduate students.
Are the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships Field-Specific?
No, all the scholarships available to UMass Lowell students are unrestricted to specific fields of study. That allows domestic and international students across diverse fields to be eligible for these scholarships, regardless of their program’s major.
Here are the major areas covered by UMass Lowell programs.
- Music Studies
- Business Administration
- Applied Biomedical Sciences
- Electrical Engineering
- Criminal Justice
- Sound Recording Technology
- Public Health
- Exercise Science
- Graphic Design
- Computer Science
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Environmental Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Liberal Arts
- Political Science
- Civil Engineering
- Information Technology
- World Languages and Cultures
- Environmental Science
- Meteorology and Atmospheric Science
Can Undergraduate Students Apply for the UMass Lowell Scholarships?
Yes, undergraduate students seeking a higher education degree can apply for many scholarships at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. These include degree-seeking students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Liberal Arts, or Bachelor of Music degree.
Requirements for the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships
To qualify generally for scholarships given to students at UMass Lowell, you must satisfy the following criteria.
- Be a student at the University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Have superb academic records
- Be able to demonstrate your need for financial aid.
Fees & Funding
Is the University of Massachusetts Lowell hard to get into?
No, getting all forms of student admissions into UMass Lowell is relatively easy, as up to 75% of students applying for entry into its undergraduate and graduate programs receive a letter of acceptance.
Does UMass Lowell give scholarships?
Of course, the University of Massachusetts Lowell offers a range of partial, full-tuition, and fully funded scholarships to support its students every academic year.
Does the University of Massachusetts Lowell offer scholarships for international students?
Yes, UMass Lowell has partially funded scholarships open to international students, providing financial aid ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 to each recipient per academic year.
Are there full scholarships at the University of Massachusetts Lowell?
Yes, several full scholarships are available as financial assistance to the University of Massachusetts Lowell students. These include the Chancellor’s Scholarship and Tsongas Scholarship.
How to Apply for the University of Massachusetts Lowell Scholarships
To express yourself as a worthy recipient of UMass Lowell scholarships, you must take the following steps one after the other.
- Get the Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID for you and your parent/guardian, as it’s necessary to complete the FAFSA form.
- Fill out the FAFSA form via an internet-enabled computer by clicking the Apply Now button below. The University of Massachusetts Lowell’s School Code is 002161. Note that you can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to report your tax information on the FAFSA form.
To request scholarship-related information from UMass Lowell, contact the institution’s Financial Aid Office by emailing [email protected].