Swiss Re Internship: All you need to know!
Participate in the Swiss Reinsurance (Swiss Re) internship to gain hands-on experience in an insurance-based corporate company to provide financial solutions to clients.
This article will provide quality information on the Swiss Re Internship, including the benefits the internship offers, responsibilities, eligibility criteria, and, ultimately, how to apply for the internship position.
Let’s get started!
About Swiss Re
The Swiss Reinsurance Company, commonly known as Swiss Re, is a worldwide leading provider of insurance, reinsurance, and other insurance-based risk transfer forms. It was established in 1863 in Zurich, Switzerland. It aims to make the world more resilient and enable society to progress and thrive by creating new solutions and opportunities for its clients.
Swiss Re offers different products to manage risk and capital. Its traditional reinsurance products include various casualty, property, health, and life coverage. Also, they are complemented by supplementary services and insurance-based corporate financial solutions for comprehensive risk management. The organization works through the following segments: Life and Health Reinsurance, Property and Casualty Reinsurance, Group Items, Life Capital, and Corporate Solutions.
Overview of Swiss Re Internship
The Swiss Re internship opportunity is available for exceptional students willing to give their best for success. The organization provides a platform whereby interns will partner with fellow interns and employees to take on tasks and various projects.
The organization organizes networking events for interns to gain an understanding of the work culture in Swiss Re. Also, the company organizes other social and business events to enable interns to interact with one another and with employees. Traditional internships in the United Kingdom and the United States last about 10 to 12 weeks—however, training in Switzerland and Germany last 3 to 6 months.
Benefits of Swiss Re Internship
The Swiss Re Internship has many advantages and benefits for its interns. Below are some things you may look forward to as an intern in the organization.
- Internship salary
- Health Insurance
- Family benefits
- Paid Leave
- Career progression
In addition to the benefits listed above, you will enjoy access to different award-winning development programs, learning experiences to fuel your career and growth process, and talent programs to energize you.
Responsibilities of Swiss Re Interns
The following are some of the responsibilities and tasks to be completed by interns at Swiss Re:
- Take on concrete tasks and various projects straightaway, supported by your team.
- Network and engage in social and business events to enable you fully experience Swiss Re’s company culture.
- Join their New Entrants Days, and you will get relevant training to develop new skills.
- Training, development & rotations
Eligibility Criteria for the Swiss Re Internship
You must satisfy the following eligibility criteria and requirements to apply for this Swiss Re Internship:
- Complete university degree.
- Previous work experience in insurance or reinsurance gained through vacation work or internships is an added advantage.
- Strong interest and motivation to learn about reinsurance
- Strong communication and good presentation skills
- Ability to approach problems with open-mindedness and curiosity
- Be a fast learner
- Innovative and always exhibiting a high degree of personal initiative
- Team player, and having the willingness to contribute actively to the overall team spirit
- Enthusiasm and ability to work in a multicultural and global environment
- Aptitude to express oneself effectively in one-on-one conversations and small groups
- Mature and self-confident. Also, must be able to work with business partners, clients, or senior colleagues
- Capacity to adapt to a dynamic and changing environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (precisely Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Proficiency in programming languages such as R is a considerable advantage
- Flexible and resilient
- Very Pro-active
- Self-motivated and able to thrive on the opportunity to work in a pressurized environment
- Ideally, a student in the 4/5th year of university in IT, Engineering, or an equivalent field
- Possess curiosity about Data Analytics
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to analyze large sets of data
- Ability to firmly commit to attention to detail, data quality, and solution-oriented
- Demonstrate absolute accuracy and commitment to quality
- Have a can-do attitude and willingness to learn
- Proficiency in the English language
How to apply for the Swiss Re Internship
The following are steps to apply for the Swiss Re Internship successfully.
Step one: Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for the Swiss Re Internship
The first step to applying for the Swiss Re internship is to ascertain that you satisfy all the criteria in this prose, after which you can sign up for an internship account.
Step two: Create a Swiss Re internship account
Create a Swiss Re internship account, and log in with your correct details to access the internship application form. Ensure that you check out the internship positions available and decide if it is the right one for your career goals and field of study.
Step three: Apply for the internship
Open the internship application form, fill in your correct details, and attach the necessary documents to complete your application. Below is a list of documents you must prepare to apply for the Swiss Re Internship.
- Your cover letter is a document that briefly describes your intention for the internship, how it meets your career goal, and how you aim to contribute to the company’s success.
- Your reference letter or recommendation letter must be written by your institution’s professor or past employer willing to speak positively to your work attitude and ability to thrive in a commercial and corporate environment.
- Your resume should list your academic qualifications, skills, interest, and educational background. You need to prepare your resume or curriculum vitae in an orderly manner to apply for the internship position.
Step four: Complete your application
Once you have concluded your application and submitted the necessary documentation for the internship position, you can await a response. Note that the submission of the application must be before the deadline. Also, ensure that the mail you entered is correct so that you will get the necessary information afterward.
Frequently asked questions
Can international students intern in Switzerland?
As extended by the labor laws in Switzerland, an international student can intern in Switzerland and enjoy benefits that cover minimum wage laws, general workplace health regulations, limits on work hours, etc. Most international students are paid in Switzerland. However, asking your internship provider for more clarification would be best.
Can I intern in Switzerland?
International students who want to intern in Switzerland for more than 90 days must register with the local authorities where they live within 14 days of their arrival in Switzerland. Also, they must bring evidence of an employment contract and receive a short-term residence permit for their internship.
How long is an internship in Switzerland?
The minimum duration you can intern in Switzerland is two months. However, it may be extended to six months at maximum, depending on the need of the office you intern with.
Is it hard to get a job in Switzerland as a foreigner?
As a foreigner, finding a job in Switzerland may be difficult or easy. Firstly, the job market in Switzerland welcomes foreigners, especially if they’re in a senior management-level position. However, the competition for employment is stiff and somewhat tricky.
Can I work in Switzerland and only speak English?
You can work in Switzerland if you can only speak English. Many people build their careers and find good jobs in Switzerland without being fluent in German. This is because many international companies and organizations in Switzerland have English as their primary company language.
With the Swiss Re Internship, the sky is your limit in obtaining quality experience in the reinsurance industry. This prose has highlighted the necessary information you need for the internship opportunities. Therefore, do not hesitate to apply.