Are you eligible to visit and work as an intern in the U.S. for at least three months? If yes, you can explore and apply for the Reuters Internship program. This program is an ideal starting point if you are passionate about building your skills and knowledge in Journalism, Legal finances, Product strategy, Consulting, etc.
With a global reach, Reuters is an iconic news organization setting the news agenda for over 100 years. As an intern with Reuters, you’ll be given a chance to gain valuable experience working on major stories and projects alongside some of the most respected voices in journalism.
Let us take you through the benefits, requirements, and other vital information that will aid your success in the hiring process for the Reuters internship.
Overview of Reuters Internship
The Reuters Internship is a three to six months program open to international students with solid academic achievements, amongst other requirements. Thomson Reuters will host it, and it will take place in the United States.
The program is available to students with an interest in building their resumes and acquiring invaluable experience from experts in the following specialization:
- Legal Finance
- Product strategy
In addition, the program has a flexible application deadline to ensure students with varying semester breaks have access to internship opportunities. To this end, Thomson Reuters accepts applications for the internship every year in early January, May, and September.
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is a multinational media and information services company. It was established in 2008, and it’s among the world’s most important news and information providers, with operations in many countries. In North America alone, there are over 20 locations for Thomson Reuters. These include offices in New York City; Washington D.C.; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Eagan, Minnesota; Carlsbad and Los Angeles in California; Austin and Dallas in Texas; Boston; Chicago; Denver; Houston; St. Louis; Philadelphia; San Francisco and Seattle. It has its headquarters located in Toronto, Canada.
The company provides news and business intelligence to professionals in the legal, tax & accounting, healthcare & science, media & entertainment, and risk & compliance sectors. It also offers several products and services to its customers, including financial data and analytics, legal research tools, news and analysis from around the world, and enterprise solutions for risk management. It also provides technology solutions such as cloud-based software platforms and tools that help organizations manage their operations more effectively.
Benefits of the Reuters Internship
The benefits you will enjoy during the internship program include the following:
- Flexible working hours and competitive pay to take care of financial needs while saving some for a career advancement
- Acquire on-the-job training and experience from experts in the different areas of Thomson Reuters business engagements.
- Connect with teammates and other interns to learn about multicultural relationships and establish professional networks for future benefits.
- You can give back to the community by participating in volunteer programs organized by Thomson Reuters.
- You will participate in the social engagement programs, such as weekly social hours, fireside chats, and appreciation days, to boost your interpersonal relations skills.
- You will learn about the news business, hone your writing skills, and develop your understanding of current events.
To become an intern at Thomson Reuters, you must fulfill the eligibility requirements below:
- You must be exceptional in written and verbal communication in English.
- Must have a clean criminal record
- Must be a student studying in an accredited University
- Must have a strong grade point average of 3.0 and above
- Must have a valid visa to work in the U.S.
However, additional requirements depend on the internship role you wish to apply for.
How to apply for the Reuters Internship
The application process for the Reuters Internship program is as follows:
- Visit the career section of Thompson Reuters to check for the available internship programs
- Select the internship role you want to fit into at Thompson Reuters and check the job description and additional requirements.
- Craft a compelling resume and cover letter for the internship role
- Create a user account on the website to enable you to complete your application
- Log in to your profile and fill out the application form
- Upload your resume, cover letter, academic transcript, and reference letters.
- Preview your application and submit it.
After a successful application, the hiring team will review all applications and begin the interview process using the HireVue app.
This first stage interview is an online conversation with basic details about you and your interest in the job.
Once you are successful, you will get a notification for a physical interview where you meet the organization’s hiring team. At this stage, you should expect an examination of skills and experience to know what you offer the organization. You must demonstrate your confidence and analytical and problem-solving skills to the team. You can also ask thoughtful questions about Thompson Reuters during the interview. If you succeed, an offer for the internship will be sent to you.
Tips to succeed in the Reuters Internship hiring process
The Reuters Internship hiring process is competitive and requires much preparation. Here are some tips to help you succeed:
1. Research Thompson Reuters. Take the time to understand what Reuters does, its mission, and the internship role you wish to occupy. This will help you tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job you’re applying for. It will also make it easier for you to answer questions during interviews about why you want to work at Reuters.
2. Prepare for interviews. The most important part of the hiring process is the interview, so take the time to practice your answers and prepare thoroughly beforehand. Research any potential interviewers or topics that may arise in conversation so you work on thoughtful responses. You can also learn more ways to Ace your interview on our blog.
3. Follow up after interviews. After each interview, send a thank-you note expressing your appreciation for their time and consideration.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does Thompson Reuters pay interns?
Thompson Reuter’s stipends to interns depend on various factors, such as the intern’s experience level and the specific roles and departments they work in during the internship. Generally speaking, Thompson Reuters pays its interns competitively. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a Thompson Reuters Intern is $20.41 per hour.
Can I secure permanent employment at Thompson Reuters?
Securing permanent employment at Thompson Reuters is possible because the organization constantly seeks talented and motivated individuals to join its team. It would be best to have a strong resume highlighting your achievements, skills, and experience. And have demonstrated commitment to work and the culture of Thompson Reuters.
What is Thompson Reuters known for?
Thompson Reuters is best known for its flagship product, the Reuters News Agency. The agency is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider, covering significant events such as elections and natural disasters. It also produces various products, including legal analysis services, market data solutions, financial tools, etc.
The Reuters Internship provides valuable experience in the field of journalism and media. It is available to students who are passionate about their work, take the initiative, and are willing to learn. The program has many benefits for interns, including industry-leading training and development opportunities. Eligibility requirements have also been set out clearly, so applicants should ensure they meet them before applying. Considering all these advantages, applying for the Reuters Internship is worth it.