This article will explore the OIST Internship Program in Japan and explain how to apply. An excellent opportunity for those looking to gain experience in their field, the OIST Internship Program is a fantastic way to get your foot in the door of one of the world’s most fascinating countries. With a clear understanding of the eligibility criteria and process, you can quickly start your journey toward a successful internship experience with OIST.
Let’s dive in!
About Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) Graduate University is a private, interdisciplinary graduate school in Onna, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The Institute offers a 5-year Ph.D. program in Science. Over 50 percent of the students are from outside Japan, and all education and research are taught in English.
OIST strongly relies on public subsidies funded by the Japanese government. The government subsidy for OIST comes in two ways: support for operations and facilities.
Overview of the OIST Internship Program
OIST internship for international graduates is one of the best-paid international internships to gain practical experience and technical skills. Not limited to crafts, the fully-funded internship will also boost students’ confidence by allowing them to contribute towards research in the international working environment under professional supervisors of relevant fields. Students from all countries are welcome to pursue research in any area pertinent to the projects and research conducted at OIST.
OIST selects students on merit regardless of gender, race, color, or other discrimination. Therefore, all talented and outstanding students from all over the world are eligible to apply.
The Japanese government will cover all costs. The Duration of the OIST Internship will be between two and six months. Typically, it should be 10 to 12 weeks, but there will be No Extension. The Undergraduate and Graduate Students can apply for the OIST Internship in Japan.
Benefits of OIST Internship in Japan
It would be best if you considered the benefits of this OIST internship for international students in Japan. Do not worry; this research internship is fully funded, covering all basic expenses. We have some of the benefits and financial coverage listed below:
- You will receive round-trip tickets.
- OIST will also support you in gaining a visa for the international internship.
- Provision of accommodation on or off-campus.
- You will receive displacement support.
- Opportunity to work in top international labs.
- Explore Japanese culture.
- Visit Japan and work with leading researchers.
- Gain valuable experience.
Are Interns paid stipends at OIST?
As an intern at OIST, you will be paid a daily stipend of 2,400 JPY. While this may not appear much compared to other internship programs, remember that you will gain essential experience working with industry veterans.
Recommended: Japan Government Internship Program
OIST internship in Japan is one of the top internships offered for international students. It would be best if you also took advantage of this opportunity to gain practical experience. However, before you start the application, check the eligibility criteria and requirements to ensure your eligibility.
Here are some requirements for OIST Internships:
- Candidates enrolled in a Graduate Degree program in Colleges, Universities, Junior colleges, and vocational schools.
- Candidates enrolled in an Undergraduate Degree program in universities, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or Overseas.
- Recent Graduates of such institutions are also qualified to apply.
- Enrolled students must be approved or get authorization from their home institution. If you are presently a student, please confirm with your institution.
- Bachelor Year 3 and 4 and Master Year 1 & 2 students are mostly encouraged to apply.
- ID Photo
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose
- A letter of Recommendation
OIST Internship Interest Areas:
- Nonlinear and Non-equilibrium Physics
- Quantum Systems
- Evolutionary Genomics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Femtosecond Spectroscopy
- Computational Neuroscience
- Neural Computation
- Biodiversity and Biocomplexity
- Electronic and Quantum Magnetism
- Mathematics, Mechanics, and Materials
- Embodied Cognitive Science Unit
- Neural Coding and Brain Computing Unit
- Sensory and Behavioral Neuroscience
- Continuum Physics
- Igor Goryanin Biological Systems
- Theoretical Physics
- Immune Signalling
- Organic Optoelectronics
- Coordination Chemistry and Catalysis
- Membranology Unit
- Quantum Dynamics
- Membrane Cooperativity
- Protein Engineering and Evolution
- Genomics and Regulatory Systems Unit
- Information Processing Biology
- Developmental Neurobiology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Physics and Biology
- Marine Biophysics
- Quantum Gravity
- Light-Matter Interactions for Quantum Technologies
- Quantum Materials Science
- Biological Complexity
- Numerical simulations of laminar and turbulent complex flow.
- Marine Climate Change
- Plant Epigenetics
- Theory of Quantum Matter
- Quantum Wave Microscopy
- Cellular Biology
- Nonlinear Analysis Unit
- Representation Theory and Algebraic Combinatorics Unit
- Biological Physics Theory
- Experimental Quantum Information Physics
How to Apply for OIST Internship Program
To apply for OIST Internship 2023 in Japan, follow the application steps below.
- Visit the OIST Internship Program website.
- Carefully read through the program information and eligibility requirements to ensure that you meet all the criteria. We have listed some requirements above on this page.
- Prepare the necessary documents, which include your cover letter, resume, letter of motivation, and two letters of Recommendation.
- After preparing your documents, complete the application form with your personal and academic details. And ensure you upload your Cover letter, resume, and other necessary documents.
- Again, please ensure that you submit your application by the deadline. The deadline for the OIST Internship Program varies, so make sure to check the website for the current deadline.
- After logging in to your application, you will receive a confirmation email. Usually, you will wait for the selection committee to review your application. If you are picked, you will be notified via email.
- Congratulations! If you are accepted.
The application deadline for applying for the OIST internship in Japan for international students is April 15, 2024. The results of this international internship will be released by late June 2024.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does the OIST internship pay?
Generally, interns are paid a daily allowance of 2400 JPY, with weekends excluded, and the allowance is taxable. It is worth noting that OIST covers airfare costs and other expenses.
Can a foreigner get an internship in Japan?
There will be many options from Japanese companies that immediately provide internship programs for foreigners. Your chances of securing an internship are pretty good if you have a suitable skill set and are meticulous with your application documentation.
Do you need help getting into OIST?
Admission to OIST is always highly competitive against a standard similar to leading universities’ graduate programs.
How do you get into OIST?
Getting into OIST can be challenging but achievable if you work hard and stay focused. You need first to research their program and see what qualifications they’re looking for in applicants, and then you can apply for it.
Does Japan pay interns?
Usually, some internships that require Japanese language skills will provide a small pay or stipends, but most internships in Japan (Tokyo mainly) are unpaid.
If thus far you have stayed with us to the end of this internship program. You should know by now that the OIST internship is a fantastic opportunity to gain invaluable hands-on experience. So, if you want to succeed in your career, this program can be your perfect start. Don’t hesitate to share this opportunity with a friend, as you never know how beneficial this program can be. Thank you.