International undergraduate students in Canada can gain international work experience through the Globalink Research Internship. However, applicants must be citizens of selected countries. In addition, they must meet the requirements for this program.
Our article will provide the information you need when applying for this internship. Read on to learn the requirements, open positions, tips, and how to apply.
Overview of Globalink Research Internship
Globalink Research Internship or Mitacs Globalink Research Internship is a program for international undergraduate students in Canada to gain international work experience. It is available to students from the following countries. They include:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- The United Kingdom
- The United States
However, they must enroll at designated universities in Canada. In addition, applicants must register in various academic disciplines, from science, engineering, and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences.
Interested students can apply for this internship between November 1, 2023, to December 15, 2023. Successful candidates will participate in a 12-week or three months research program under the supervision of Canadian university faculty members.
Eligibility criteria for Globalink Research Internship
The requirements for this program depend on your status. You can apply as a student or a graduate in Canadian universities.
Requirements for undergraduates
As an undergraduate, you must meet the following eligibility criteria. They include:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years or above at the time of application.
- It would be best if you enrolled as a full-time undergraduate at a designated university in Canada.
- Your program must be valid for the internship in the fall of each year.
- Applicants must meet the academic requirements for these internships.
- Apply to at least three and seven projects and ensure selections from at least three Canadian provinces.
- You must be fluent in the oral and written language of the project (English and French)
- Applicants must be for 12 consecutive weeks between May 1 and October 31 to complete the program.
Requirements for graduates
On the other hand, graduates applying for the Globalink Research Internship must meet the criteria below. They include:
- Have one of the following statuses at an eligible institution. They include a Full professor, Associate professor, Assistant professor, Adjunct professor, and Emeritus professor.
- You will be willing to supervise international students at your institution during the internship.
- Be willing and able to host interns within the stipulated dates of the GRI program: Internships must occur between May 1 and July 31 and be delivered over 12 consecutive weeks.
In addition, you will be able to provide the following services r materials to students. They include:
- Research supervision
- E-mail and internet access
- Lab and office space for students
- Provision of Software or hardware for interns
- Plus, other safety or orientation information required for the project
Partners of Globalink Research Internship
International students in the following Canadian universities and organizations can apply for this internship program. They include:
- Universities Australia;
- Brazil’s Araucária Foundation;
- The China Scholarship Council;
- Chile’s CRUCH and FUDEA
- Colombia’s Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation;
- The Embassy of France in Canada, University de Bordeaux, Université de Lorraine,
- Université de Grenoble Alpes;
- The German Academic Exchange Service;
- The University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU);
- India’s Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute and All India Council for Technical Education;
- Mexico’s Secretariat of Public Education, Tecnológico de Monterrey, EDUCAFIN,
- Universidad Tecnológica El Retoño;
- South Korea’s Hanseo University and Korea Aerospace University
- Taiwan’s National Cheng Kung University;
- Tunisia’s Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Mediterranean Institute of Technology, and Mission Universitaire de Tunisie en Amérique du Nord;
- Participating universities from Pakistan
- The Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
- The United Kingdom’s Universities UK International;
- Fulbright Canada
Benefits of this program
Participants of the Globalink Research Internship will enjoy the following benefits. They include:
- Flight and student visa reimbursement
- Accommodation and a daily stipend
- Medical insurance during your internship period
- Assist the Coordination with host institutions’ administrative offices to ensure a smooth arrival and registration process.
- Availability of a Globalink Mentor or coach to assist with tasks like picking up students from the airport, escorting them to their homes, organizing social events, and coming to their rescues an emergency contact
- Provision of professional skills courses for international students
- Availability of opportunities for conferences, workshops, industry expos, tours, and other networking events.
How to apply for Globalink Research Internships
It is challenging to apply for this internship because of the completion and the number of applicants. However, candidates who o the right thing always get a chance to land this program. Moreover, you can use our internship guide to learn how to obtain internships in big organizations this year.
Steps to apply for Globalink Research Internship
International students in Canadian universities can follow the steps below to apply for this internship. They include:
Step 1. Review all eligibility criteria
Step 2. Confirm that your passport
Step 3. Obtain a reference letter from a professor
Step 4. Update your CV
Step 5. Obtain your educational transcripts (in either English or French)
Step 6. Obtain a language certificate.
How to boost your chances of Globalink Research Internships
To increase your chances of getting a Globalink Research Internship, you must d the following things. They include:
#1. Tailor your application for the specific job you want
You must tailor your application to the particular position. Your cover letter must highlight your skills, abilities, and strengths. In addition, it will reflect why you are the best candidate for the job. Use keywords related to the job and industry while writing your application.
#2. Network with former and present interns
Another helpful tip is to look for current and former interns at the organization to ask them questions. They will give you the information you will see when going for the interview. In addition, you can network with workers at the organization.
#3. Research Globalink Research
Visit the company’s website for basic information about the organization, services, cultures, and mission. In addition, try to know the requirements for the job. It will help you understand the right keywords for your cover letter.
#4. Learn new skills
You must acquire the skills to excel as an intern at Globalink Research. You will need communication, problem-solving, analytical, and time-management skills. However, it would be best to have more abilities depending on the department or focus area.
#5. Write a good resume and compelling cover letter
Your resume will be vital if you want to be successful in your application. Therefore, you must make sure you build a good one. A good summary will highlight your skills, abilities, qualifications, experience, and strengths. Thus, it will convince your employers that you are the best candidate for the job.
You also need a cover letter that introduces you to the hiring manager. You must be careful when writing your cover letter. Use the right keywords, include the required skills, and highlight your abilities and strengths. Above all, tell your employer the reason they must hire you. You can do this by telling them what you will offer them.
#6. Review your cover letter
The final tip is to review, proofread, and edit your cover letter to detect spelling, typing, and grammatical errors. Your hiring manager will not hire you if your cover letter contains grammatical errors. It shows you ignore details, a good attribute they want in their workers. Therefore, ensure you submit an error-free cover letter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is Globalink Research Internship?
Applicants for this program must be willing and ready to work for three months or 12 weeks without stopping. The summer program occurs between May 1 and October 31 each year.
Who can apply for this program?
The Globalink Research Internship is available to international students in Canadian universities from the following countries including Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunisia, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
What are the focus areas for this internship?
The program is available to students in various academic disciplines, ranging from science, engineering, and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences.
The Globalink Research Internship allows international undergraduate students and professors to gain international work experience. However, only eligible candidates from selected countries can apply for this program. Qualified applicants will get internship placements in reputable organizations where they will engage in research and seminars for their career development.
Above all, participants will earn allowances for accommodation and daily expenses, plus one-time compensation of CAD 6,000 for their job.