Ultimate Guide to Landing a General Motors Internship
Do you plan to intern with one of the world’s most renowned automakers? If so, consider participating in the General Motors Internship Program to gain hands-on experience and get a head start in your career. The program allows students to learn from the top professionals in the industry, develop their skill sets, and stand out with their qualifications. Irrespective of your expectations from an internship program, look no further because this internship can significantly impact your career advancement. Read on to learn more about interning with General Motors Company, starting with the basics.
Overview of GM Internship Program
General Motors Company offers some exciting internship opportunities for students and recent graduates. Its internships last up to six months, providing a chance to gain professional development. GM has numerous intern positions available yearly, such as Propulsion Planning Intern, Manufacturing Controls Engineer Intern, Exterior Designer Intern, Product Portfolio Planning Intern, CX Intern, Strategy & Global Portfolio Planning Intern, Software Deployment Engineer (MES/ME) Intern, and Creative Designer Intern positions.
About the General Motors Company
Headquartered in Detroit, Michigan, USA, GM is a global automotive manufacturing company established in 1908. The company also has close to 400 facilities across six continents. Undeniably, General Motors Company is the largest automotive company in the US. Its core automobile brands include Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, and Buick.
Why Intern with General Motors Company?
Are you finding reasons to choose General Motors Internship Program over other internships? Here is an overview of the potential benefits of interning with GM.
Learn directly from professionals and understand the industry
- GM Internships will allow you to expand your knowledge and learn more about the automotive industry.
Develop your skills and gain hands-on experience.
- This internship program will positively impact your skill sets and enable you to acquire practical experience as you work with industry experts. With this, you will have improved employability and be able to create a unique CV.
- GM provides competitive compensation to interns, irrespective of their position. Thus, you will earn about $5,100 each month interning with the General Motors Company.
Opportunity to create a professional network
- Interning with the General Motors Company will allow you to build relationships with persons who are professionals in the automotive industry. Undeniably, this connection has lifelong career benefits.
Mentorship and training
- As a General Motors intern, you will benefit from formal and informal mentorship throughout your internship. There are also opportunities for guidance and support to facilitate your professional development. However, you must leverage these resources to redefine and attain your career goals.
If you are ready to kick-start your career via GM’s internship program, consider satisfying the criteria noted in the next section.
Eligibility Criteria for General Motors Internship Program
You must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for an intern position at General Motors Company.
- Be enrolled in a recognized higher education institution or have recently obtained a university degree within the previous two years
- Have outstanding academic records
- Possess impressive oral and written communication skills
Now that you have seen the eligibility requirements for GM internships, we recommend applying quickly, taking the steps below, one after the other.
How to Apply for General Motors Internship Program
To express your interest in one of GM’s current intern positions, visit the company’s careers webpage and search for its student openings. From your search results, click on your preferred intern position. Then again, click the Apply Now button to commence your online application. Of course, that would require you to create an account on General Motors’ careers website since you haven’t applied for any of the company’s intern positions before now.
Following your internship application submission, we advise you to prepare for your interview to guarantee success.
GM Internship Program Interview Questions
Among the sure ways to prepare for an internship interview is to find a sample of the questions commonly asked by General Motors interviewers and practice the best answers for them.
Here are a few of the questions to expect.
- Tell me a few things about yourself.
- How would you describe the size of an autonomous automobile market?
- How do you solve problems?
- Discuss a time you worked in a team.
- What was one latest workplace challenge, and how did you react?
- Tell an experience that is relevant to this role.
- Why do you want to intern with us (General Motors Company)?
- What was your challenging project?
- Discuss a moment when you were a project leader.
- What degree are you pursuing?
- Tell a time when you failed while collaborating in a team.
- Have you ever had to end a disagreement between yourself and a coworker? Also, how did you resolve it?
- What is the most challenging situation you were able to overcome?
After your internship with the General Motors Company, you may also read our blog post on how to list your new internship experience on your resume.
FAQs about General Motors Internship Program
How much does General Motors pay interns?
According to Indeed.com, a website accessible globally for job listings, the average monthly pay of interns at General Motors Company in the United States is approximately $5,100.
Is it hard to get an intern position at GM?
Yes, landing an intern position at General Motors Company is highly competitive, as students from different parts of the world are looking for the same opportunity to gain hands-on experience from one of the top automotive manufacturing companies in the US.
Does GM provide housing for interns?
No, General Motors Company does not provide accommodation to its interns. Still, it gives financial support to out-of-state interns who need somewhere to stay for their internship.
How long does General Motors Internship last?
Internships at the General Motors Company usually run for three to six months. They are available due to the company’s collaboration with specific universities to allow students to gain internship experience to complement their in-class lessons.
Can recent graduates intern at General Motors Company?
Yes, the internship program hosted by General Motors is also open to persons who graduated from an accredited college or university within the previous two years.
Being part of the GM Internship Program is a unique step that assures a successful career in any field or industry. General Motors Company provides the opportunity to aid students’ career progression. Not only will interns develop new skills and gain relevant experience, but they will also have the chance to work on actual projects, allowing them to understand the work environment and industry. So apply now to start making moves for your professional development!