The Doctors Without Borders Internship is a tremendous opportunity to gain insight into the medical field while serving those in need worldwide. Doctors Without Borders is an international humanitarian organization that works to provide medical care and support to vulnerable populations affected by disasters, conflict, and other health-related crises.
This article will explore what it means to undertake a Doctors Without Borders internship, including the application process, eligibility requirements, and benefits.
About Doctors Without Borders Internship
A doctor without borders internship is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in the humanitarian field. It is a well-respected organization that offers an incredible opportunity to those interested in furthering their humanitarian efforts.
You’ll get to work with a team of dedicated professionals and make a real impact on people’s lives. In addition to gaining valuable experience, you will develop skills that are highly sought after by employers.
From working with diverse populations and cultures to problem-solving and communication, you’ll also be able to demonstrate your commitment to social justice and global health.
Benefits of Doctors Without Borders Internship
Participating in a Doctors Without Borders internship can be a life-changing experience. So, below are some of the key benefits of interning that you may enjoy at the organization.
- The internship is an incredible way to gain meaningful experience while doing something positive for others. You’ll be able to use your skills and knowledge to help improve people’s lives, and you can take pride in knowing that your work is making a difference.
- You’ll have access to support and guidance from experienced staff members who will mentor you on how to make Internship reports, provide feedback on your work, and help you develop your skills.
- Through your work with Doctors Without Borders, you’ll have the opportunity to build relationships with people worldwide. You’ll learn about different cultures and perspectives, which can help broaden your worldview and open your mind to new possibilities.
- You’ll gain insight into their operations, values, and commitment to providing quality healthcare worldwide. You’ll also gain an understanding of how international organizations like Doctors Without Borders work to provide medical aid to those who need it most.
Responsibilities of Doctors Without Borders Interns
As an intern with Doctors Without Borders, below are some responsibilities you will be expected to oversee;
- Support the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Research and write reports, develop educational materials, support fundraising efforts, or help to coordinate events.
- Use your initiative to identify areas where you can contribute and help. This could involve creating content for social media channels or providing administrative support.
- Work with other team members and demonstrate a commitment to learning about global health issues.
- Provide administrative support to the organization and its staff, including data entry, filing, and preparing reports.
Eligibility criteria for Doctors Without Borders Internship
To be eligible for the doctors Without Borders Internship, you must meet the following requirements;
- Must have a valid passport
- Being 18 years or older ensures that you are mature enough to handle challenges while working abroad.
- Must have at least two years of post-secondary education and relevant experience in a related field. This will help make sure that you are well-prepared for the assignments.
- Commit to at least three months of work with Doctors Without Borders.
- Depending on the position, you may need to have completed a certain level of education, such as a college degree or medical training.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work in diverse environments.
- Have experience working in a team setting and have good problem-solving skills.
Documents Requirements for Doctors Without Borders Internship
To complete your application, you’ll need to submit a few documents. The most important ones include the following:
- You’ll need to submit a captivating and detailed cover letter explaining why you’re interested in the internship and what experience or skills you can bring to the organization.
- Your resume or CV should detail your past work experience and education, as well as any other relevant qualifications or skills that make you a great candidate for this internship.
Letters of recommendation
- Provide two letters of recommendation from individuals who can vouch for your character and abilities. These should be written by people who know you well, such as teachers, employers, or volunteer supervisors.
Statement of purpose
- Submit a brief statement of purpose outlining why you are interested in working with Doctors Without Borders and what unique contributions you can make to their organization.
- Prepare other supporting documents such as two recent passport-sized photographs of yourself, an International passport, a transcript, etc.
How to apply for the Doctors Without Borders Internship
Below are the steps to follow to apply for the Doctors Without Borders Internship;
Step one: Visit the website of Doctors Without Borders
Visit the official website of Doctors Without Borders and review their current internships position. You can also find information about upcoming training on their social media accounts.
Step two: Submit an application
Once you’ve identified an opportunity that interests you, submit your application online. Make sure to include all required documents.
Step three: Prepare for the Interview
After submitting your application, prepare for the interview. Ensure to follow up with the organization periodically. This will show them you’re serious about being considered for the internship and demonstrate your commitment to making a difference.
Step four: Attend the Interview
If you’re selected for an interview, be prepared to answer questions about why you’re interested in working with Doctors Without Borders and how your skills can contribute to their mission.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Doctors Without Borders free?
Yes, Doctors Without Borders is a free organization. Donations from individuals, corporations, and foundations fund it. The organization relies on the generosity of people worldwide to provide medical care to those in need.
How long are the Doctors Without Borders Internship?
The length of your internship will depend on the type of work you’re doing and the location where you’ll be based. For example, suppose you’re working in a field hospital in an emergency setting.
In that case, your commitment may be as short as two or three weeks. On the other hand, if you’re taking on a longer-term project related to public health or research, your internship could last up to six months or more.
Is Doctors Without Borders an excellent place to work?
Yes, Doctors Without Borders is a great place to work if you’re looking for an opportunity to make a difference in the world. Working with this organization allows you to help those in need while learning more about global health and humanitarian efforts.
What types of roles are available through the Doctors Without Borders Internship program?
The Doctors Without Borders Internship Program offers a wide range of roles to help you make a meaningful impact in the global health crisis. Depending on your unique skillset, you can work as a medical assistant, nutritionist, or even an epidemiologist.
What type of training is provided for the Doctors Without Borders Internship?
As an intern for Doctors Without Borders, you’ll receive comprehensive training to ensure you can carry out your duties effectively. Before you start, you’ll attend a two-week orientation.
After which you will also receive training on project management and communication skills. Once your internship begins, you’ll have access to additional support and guidance from experienced staff members who will provide feedback on your work and help you develop your skills.
With this internship, you will gain experience in public health, international relations, and communication skills, and also be able to grow personally by developing your cultural understanding and working with people from different backgrounds.
So apply today if you want to make a difference with your medical skills by putting them to use.