Here, we will share a first-hand experience with the Amazon student Internships, which last up to 16 weeks. You won’t remain the same regarding career experience, skills, and interpersonal relationships during and after your internship program at Amazon. But before then, this is an overview of Amazon before other details about its internship opportunities.
An overview of Amazon
Amazon is one of the most influential companies in the world today, with a vast and ever-expanding presence in nearly every industry imaginable. The company came into existence in 1994 through the innovative ideas of Jeff Bezos.
Amazon has grown from an online bookseller to an international conglomerate with its fingers in many pies. With a market capitalization of almost $1.7 trillion, the company is now among the biggest publicly traded companies in the United States. It has an extensive selection that caters to various interests and needs. Its products include books, electronics, appliances, clothing, pet supplies, automotive parts, and home decor; Amazon has something for everyone.
Furthermore, the company has numerous warehouses in more than 50 countries worldwide. It also has e-commerce platforms for many countries on most continents.
As one of the world’s largest online retailers with an inclusive culture, Amazon’s commitment to hiring diverse talents suitable for numerous job openings like internships, entry-level, and executive roles remain a relief to the unemployment rate worldwide.
What is the Amazon Student Internships program?
The program offers students or new graduates the opportunity to have practical experience in their field of study with the many resources available through Amazon. Moreso, the students can develop problem-solving, communication, and collaboration skills.
The program is open to students in their undergraduate degree, Masters’s degree, MBA, or Ph.D. programs from over 1000 reputable institutions in many countries. Amazon internships, in most cases, start in the Summer and last up to 16 weeks, depending on the type of internship. The interns also have access to various resources and perks during the programs. These include mentorship programs, networking events, and discounts on Amazon products and services.
Types of Amazon Student Internships
Amazon offers various internships for college students. The internships are into three categories: Business, Research, Technical, and Engineering Internships.
Business internship at Amazon
A business internship at Amazon is an excellent way for building entrepreneurs or business professionals to get their foot in the door and gain valuable experience. As an intern, you will have access to Amazon’s vast network of contacts and resources. Also, have the chance to build relationships with other industry professionals and gain insights into how Amazon operates. Find below some of the top professions Amazon prioritizes for student internship programs.
- Accounting and finance
- Operations management
- Product management
- Program management
- Retail/Consumer leadership
- Sales and marketing
The organization may consider other related professions for compelling reasons.
This type of Amazon Student internship is open to Master’s and Ph.D. students. The program provides interns with hands-on experience working on projects and initiatives that drive innovation for the company. Also, you will work with Amazon’s research teams and experts in areas such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision, robotics, and more.
Technical and Engineering Internships
Amazon is a great place to start your career in tech or engineering. This program is open to new graduates or students in engineering and technology disciplines. These programs offer the chance for interns to work alongside experienced engineers on challenging projects that use the latest technologies.
However, the Research, Technical, and Engineering internship programs are open to students in the following specializations.
- Applied science
- Data Science
- Hardware development
- Product development
- Research science
- Software development
Benefits of Amazon Students Internships
Here are some top benefits I enjoyed as an Intern at Amazon.
- Opportunity to work on meaningful projects that have an impact on the company
- Access many resources, including mentorship programs, professional development workshops, and career coaching.
- Impressive pay with the addition of relocation stipends and other incentives that make it easier for me to balance work and school commitments
- Ability to develop skills such as problem-solving, communication, and collaboration
- Opportunity to interact with professionals and experts in a conducive and innovative environment
- Able to build interpersonal relationships with professionals, fellow interns, and other workers at Amazon
You could enjoy more of these benefits, depending on your discipline and the period of your internship program at Amazon.
Tops internship openings for students at Amazon
There are over 100 openings for students with interest in Amazon internships. Here are some you can explore and expand your search if necessary.
- 2023 Applied Science Internship – Machine Learning – Canada
- 2023 Applied Science Internship – Machine Learning – United States
- Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Engineer Internship – 2023 (US)
- Business Intelligence Engineer Internship – 2023 (US)
- Data Science Internship
- Internship – Associate Customer Solutions Manager
- Marketing Intern Programme 2023
- Product Design Engineer Internship – 2023 (US)
- Ontologist Internship – 2023 (US)
- Software Development Engineer In Test Internship – 2023 (US)
- User Experience (UX) Researcher Intern – 2023 (US)
Requirements for Amazon Student Internships
The requirements vary depending on the role and program. However, to be eligible for an Amazon internship, you should satisfy the basic requirements below:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited university’s full-time undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- You must also have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through extracurricular activities, volunteer work, or research projects.
- Have some prior experience in the area you are applying for; this could include previous internships, research projects, or coursework related to the role.
- Have impressive verbal and oral communication skills in English
How to apply for Amazon Student Internships
Applying for an Amazon student internship is a great way to gain valuable experience in the tech industry. You must create an account on Amazon’s job board and upload your resume to apply. Once you have your account, you can search for available internships and submit your application.
Tips to succeed in Amazon Student Internships application
As a reputable organization, Amazon attracts many applicants who wish to participate in its world-class internship program. Therefore the selection process becomes competitive but having a background in things the company looks into gives you an edge.
- When applying, include any relevant skills or experiences that make you a good fit for the role. You should provide any projects or extracurricular activities demonstrating your interest in technology. Remember to highlight any leadership roles or volunteer positions you may have previously held.
- You should follow up after submitting your application. Send a thank-you note or email expressing your enthusiasm for the job and remind them why you’re a great fit.
- Amazon looks for candidates with excellent communication and problem-solving skills and a passion for learning and working with technology. They also value creativity and innovation, so it’s vital to showcase these qualities in your application materials.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do Amazon cover expenses and wages for an Amazon student internship?
Yes, Amazon typically covers expenses and wages for student interns. Most internships are rewarding, and Amazon will provide a stipend to cover living costs during the program. Depending on the type of internship, Amazon may also offer additional benefits such as travel reimbursement or housing assistance.
What type of skills will I gain from the Amazon student internship?
As an Intern, you can develop technical skills, such as coding and software development. You will also learn about the inner workings of the corporate world, from customer service to project management. Additionally, an Amazon internship provides you with the chance to hone your communication and interpersonal skills.
What is the minimum amount interns receive at Amazon?
The minimum amount interns receive at Amazon depends on the location and position of the intern. According to Glassdoor, an Amazon intern’s average monthly base pay is $4,726. Depending on the role and location, this amount can range from $3,000 to $7,000 per month.
In conclusion, Amazon student internships are an excellent way for students to get a foot in the door with the tech giant. Not only do students gain valuable experience working for one of the world’s leading companies, but they also have access to exclusive discounts and offers.