Take the lead: Kickstart a promising career with ADB Internships
Do you plan to have a successful career as an Asian citizen? You can kickstart your long career with the ADB Internship program for young Asian graduates and graduate students. The program will expose you to new skills. Plus, you will earn as an intern in the organization.
My article will provide all the information you need to become successful when you apply.
What is ADB Internship?
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) Internship Program offers an opportunity to young Asian graduates and graduate students to take part in policy-making at the bank. It provides participants with an avenue to understand the Asia-Pacific Region’s challenges. Successful applicants will gain hands-on experience in research, policy development, and project implementation in relation o the region.
Interested students can apply for Summer or Winter Internships which will last for a minimum of eight weeks and a maximum of eleven weeks. Eligible candidates must be citizens of ADB Member countries. In addition, they must be master or doctoral students. Successful applicants for this internship will:
- carry out assignments and duties for international development organization
- become team members with experienced professionals from over 50 different countries
- have a better understanding of development finance, plus what the Asia Development bank does
- contribute to ADB’s business through research outputs.
Eligibility criteria for the ADB Internship Program
Applicants for Asian Development Bank (ADB) Internship must meet the following requirements. They include:
- Must be a citizen of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank
- Currently enrolled in or have completed a course of postgraduate study within the past two years
- Applicants must be between 18-35 years of age.
- Possess a good understanding of development issues
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills.
Benefits of ADB Internship
Many students and graduates choose the Asia Development Bank for their internship for the following reasons:
Opportunity to work in an international organization: As an intern at Asia Development Bank, you can carry out assignments and projects for international organizations in foreign countries.
Work directly with professionals from over 50 countries: You don’t just work with experts in various fields. You will also learn from their experiences, learning new skills and improving old ones. Moreover, you will form a network of friends and business associates with these professionals and other interns.
Gain real-world experience: Generally, internships expose students and graduates to the practical reality of the theories they have learned in the classrooms. It is the same with interns at ADB. They carry out assignments and projects. In addition, they work closely with experts in the field. These offer them real experiences different from what they have learned in the classroom.
Understand what development means in the real sense: During your time as an intern at Asia Development Bank, your understanding of development will change. You will begin to see development as directly impacting the lives of people and society.
Above all, you will get financial reimbursement: ADB interns get paid handsomely. After your internship period, you will have saved enough capital to start a business. The monthly stipend of interns at Asia Development Bank is between $1,000 and $2,200. In addition, you will get travel compensation or a housing allowance.
How to apply for ADB Internship
All applicants for the internship program at Asian Development Bank must apply through the ADB Career and Employment System (ACES). Eligible candidates must submit their applications before the deadline on February 15, 2023. Otherwise, they will not be accepted for the internship at ADB.
Applicants must submit the following g documents alongside their application letter. They include:
In addition to the requirements, the applicant’s relevance of the academic study, work experience, level of interest, and motivation to contribute to development work will aid them in the selection process. Asia Development Bank also considers institutional representation, gender, and nationality.
Important tips to boost your application for ADB Internship
The following tips will help you to improve your chances of getting an internship with the Asia Development Bank.
1. Be specific in your application: When applying as an intern at Asia Development Bank, your application must point to the particular position you want. ADB advertises many vacancies for its internship program and needs individuals with specific skills and academic qualifications for each job. Therefore, your application letter must contain your skills, strengths, and capabilities. You will also try to convince them that you’re the best candidate for the particular post. You must write an impressive internship cover letter to achieve this.
2. Acquire new skills and improve old ones: You will need management, communication, problem-solving, and analytical skills as an intern at ADB. You must develop these skills or improve them. Doing this will help you when applying for an internship at the Asia Development bank.
3. Research about the Asia Development Bank: Having a good knowledge of the Asia Development Bank s an advantage for you. It will boost your chances of getting internship employment and show your commitment to working with the bank. Thus, it also increases your chances of getting a job with ADB after graduation. The information you need about the company is its mission, vision, and what they do.
4. Network with ADB staff and former interns: Another thing that will give you an edge over other applicants for ADB Internship is your ability to make friends with ADB staff and former interns. The best way to do this is through connecting with them on Facebook and LinkedIn. Why not connect with ADB staff on LinkedIn and Facebook?
5. What about a resounding resume and cover letter?: First impression, they say, matters. Your cover letter says a lot about you. Therefore, you must ensure that it says much about your skills, strengths, academic qualifications, work experience, and why you are suitable for the job. I always advise prospective interns to bring out time to craft a compelling and sound resume. It will boost your chances of getting an internship with a reputable organization like the Asia Development Bank.
6. It would help if you also had references: At least two professional references are superb. Your references must be able to attest to your skills and strengths. They will also prove that you are a fit for the job. For your reference, a university professor, an expert in the field, or a co-worker is ok.
FAQs about Asia Development Bank Internships
How long does ADB Internship last?
The Asia Development Bank Internship duration is between eight and eleven weeks. The internship can occur in the Winter or Summer holidays.
What qualifications do I need to apply for this internship?
The academic qualification for an internship at Asia Development Bank is a bachelor’s degree. In other words, undergraduate students do not qualify for this internship. Moreover, applicants must be master or doctoral students in relevant fields. Applicants must have the necessary skills to contribute to the development of the Asia Pacific region.
What type of projects do ADB interns work on?
Interns at Asia Development Bank will work on projects with international organizations that focus on the development of the Asia Pacific region. They will also perform tasks that will help them to contribute to ADB’s business through research outputs.
How much do ADB Interns make?
The amount you make as an intern at the Asia Development Bank depends on your role and position. Generally, interns at ADB receive a monthly stipend ranging from $1,000 to $2,200. However, you will also get monthly travel and housing allowances.
Do I need an interview to qualify for ADB Internship?
Prospective interns at the Asia Development Bank must attend a compulsory interview. Applicants will be ready to answer technical and behavioral questions concerning their skills, qualifications, experience, and why they want to intern at ADB.
When will the internship commence?
The summer internship at the Asia Development Bank will start on June 2023. However, applicants must apply before February 15, 2023.
In summary, you can kickstart a fantastic and successful ADB intern career. You will get valuable work experience, exposure, and training working with experts. Moreover, you can get connections who can become business associates and partners during your internship.