The Absa Internship program is a highly competitive program for recent African graduates who want to acquire and develop future skills. The program typically lasts for an 18-months and is suitable for students that need rotational and development experience. Additionally, it’s open to students who have completed their studies within the last two years.
Overview of Absa Internship
Absa is a diversified African financial service provider. The company aims to offer products and services across retail, business, corporate, investment and wealth banking, investment management and insurance. The group foundation hinges on the belief that everyone should have access to the transformative power of financial services.
As part of its mission to bring possibilities to life, the company created the Absa Internship program for young graduates. Additionally, the company strives to create opportunities for youths to make their options real and to support them at every step, delivering innovative technologies and propositions to make more achievements possible.
The internship provides a career development platform for individuals interested in pursuing a career in banking. However, the applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in a business-related field, statistics, insurance, computer science, data science, software engineering, agriculture, and investment banking.
Benefits of Absa Internship
The Absa Internship Program offers a range of benefits for successful candidates, which include:
- Opportunity to build a professional network and explore the various career options available in the banking business
- Access to class learning and career development platforms, including workshops, mentoring and coaching from experienced banking professionals.
- Medium to undergo Dare to Lead program, a program dedicated to promoting and encouraging the perfect leadership behaviour across all levels of the bank.
- It’ll allow you to develop your work skills, connect with like-minded, innovative people, earn money, and develop entrepreneurial skills.
Requirements for Absa Internship
Applicants interested in Absa Internship 2023 should satisfy the eligibility criteria to make the application successful. To become an Absa Intern, you should fulfil the following requirements:
- Must possess a degree in a business-related field, statistics, insurance, computer science, data science, software engineering, agriculture, and investment banking.
- Must have graduated in the year 2021 or 2022 with a minimum second-class upper degree and possess the certificate
- Must have scored a minimum of Grade A minus (A-) in mean grade, and in Math and English in KCSE
- Must maintain a professional certification
- It would help to complete the free Readytowork program
- Must be brave, passionate, and ready to bring their possibility to life
- They must be courageous to share their thinking and challenge the norm.
Absa Internship application process
To apply, you’ll need to submit your application and CV. Once you complete the form, you’ll upload relevant certificates or qualifications such as KCSE or school certificates, degree certificates, and professional certifications.
The Absa Internship team will review your application against the targeted requirements in December 2023. Successful applicants will get a notification from the group. Thus, you should use an active email address for the application.
Note that the application deadline is the 15th of December, 2023, and the application is free. Please don’t give in to fraudsters asking for payments to fast-track or influence the application process. In case you missed the deadline, we have an excellent article about how you can get other international internships.
Ways to succeed in the Absa Internship application process
The selection process for the Absa Internship is highly competitive, and it requires applicants to be brave in sharing their thinking and be optimistic about bringing their possibilities to life.
However, to succeed in the application process, there are several steps you can take.
- First, ensure you have completed a Readytowork program on the company’s website, which takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. You can select your learning pathway depending on your needs and complete the learning online using a computer, tablet or mobile platform.
- Ensure that your CV is up-to-date and tailored to the position you’re applying for at Absa. Include relevant skills and experience showcasing your suitability for the internship role.
- Fortunately, you can also learn how to craft a well-tailored CV during the Readytowork program.
- Lastly, the two professional references in your CV should be able to speak to your skills and abilities. It’s advisable to contact them in advance before putting their name there as a reference. They can be your previous supervisors, professors, or colleagues. Most importantly, it should be people with reputations.
Roles of an Intern at Absa
The responsibilities of an intern at Absa are numerous and vary according to a different department. Nevertheless, the primary duties of an intern are listed below:
- Providing specialist advice and support in the area of specialization, aiding the effective implementation of risk frameworks
- Performing quarterly risk and control assessments with the risk and control function
- Executing a wide array of products from interest rate swaps, bonds, reports, and FRNS to Stakeholder management
- Proactively increasing technical skills through active research with the development of technical and product knowledge
- Executing allotted projects
Frequently Asked Questions
What qualifications do I require to apply for an Absa internship?
It would be best if you had a bachelor’s degree in business-related fields to be eligible for the Absa Internship 2023. Apart from that, you can also possess a certificate in courses such as statistics, insurance, computer science, data science, software engineering, agriculture, and investment banking.
How long does the Absa internship program run?
The Absa Internship program runs for 18 months and is suitable for students needing rotational and development experience.
Is there an application fee for the Absa internship program?
No, you don’t need to pay a fee or charge for the internship program, as it is entirely free and also voluntary.
Is Absa an excellent company to work for?
Absa is one of the best places to intern because it’s a proactive and fun environment. You’ll be able to define your career with the company because there’s a detailed understanding of the work area procedures.
Absa internships provide an excellent opportunity for young African graduates to gain rotational experience and develop the skills necessary to show their readiness to work. It’ll also help graduates transition from the world of education into the world of work. By participating in this highly recommended, voluntary and free-of-charge program, you’ll be able to kick-start your career effortlessly without needing to have prior experience to build the skills you require.